Saturday, November 1, 2008

Making manipulatives

For the past week or so, I have been spending much of my free time using scissors. I have been cutting out pumpkins to write sight words on. Then cutting them out again once I have put the contact paper on them. I had done just the sight words, but then Kiddo decided to use them to write stories. So he requested a few other words. I made those. Then I realized that I could make Kutey some cards that had the letters on them, since that is what we are working on right now with her. So back to the printing and cutting I went. I have been using this sheet, printed on orange paper, to make the cards. It works out pretty well. They are a pretty good size, though I did shrink the ones for the letters--Kutey has small hands. Kiddo has enjoyed using them. We are charting his recall of the sight words, getting some math skills in with our reading skills. Hubby suggested seasonal cards, turkeys next, then snowflakes or maybe bells then snowflakes, hearts, shamrocks, eggs, etc. I think he'll have to help with the cutting!

No comments: