Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Have you read Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick? Oh, you should. It is a fantastic book. And don't let the fact that it is at least 3 inches thick stop you. It is a very, VERY quick read. I read it aloud to the kids in less than 5 hours.

This is the first book we have read for the Homeschool Book Club in our area. It is also the first book we have read that is a nominee for the National Homeschool Book Award. I will admit, I was a little worried about Kutey. Kiddo's comprehension is excellent, so I knew he would be fine. Kutey loves to listen too books, but the book club is advertised for ages 8 to 12, ish. Given that she is 5, well, I was worried. I was even more worried when she decided, upon seeing the book, that it "looks boring!" Talk about judging a book by its cover! But I wanted to give it a shot.

Kutey and Kiddo loved it. They begged me to read more. It was their go to activity for the few precious days I read it. The story is engaging and has the adventure that appeals to kids. And it is unique. It begins in Northern Minnesota, which I will admit was a huge hook for my kids. That is one of our favorite areas, so it gave us an immediate connection to the book. I don't think it is necessary, though, to have that. The book is fabulous no matter where it takes place.

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I'm happy to see a good review for Wonderstruck. We haven't had a chance to read it yet, but we love Hugo Cabret. In fact, we loved it so much, we haven't yet had the courage to see the movie. :o)

I hope Kutey had a nice birthday and that you enjoyed your Purim celebrations!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina