Thursday, September 3, 2009

Finding a homeschool niche

There are a lot of homeschoolers in my area. I am grateful for that. But finding a group, even a small group, of like-minded homeschoolers is nearly impossible it seems.

I am not talking about curriculum like-minded. I am pretty eclectic, have read about a lot of different programs, pulled in bits and pieces from a variety of places. I am very open (I think) to listening to what others have chosen to use and why. I don't think I push my ideas onto others, and if I do it is most certainly unintentional. I definitely do not think my way is the best or only way of doing things. It is the method that works for us, and that is one of the best things about homeschooling, choosing what works for you.

No, I am talking about people who are interested in similar things as my family outside of the homeschooling arena. I'd love to find families that we mesh well with, people I can talk to and don't get uncomfortable with the conversation time and again. It has happened to me several times lately. Honestly, I don't think I need to talk about the vaccination debate (because it seems I am on the wrong side) or homebirth/natural birth/hospital birth/cesarean birth (you can probably guess why), or the evils of doctors (I have many friends in the medical professions, I fully trust them), or how terrible it is to not eat only organic foods (I can't afford organic foods exclusively). If there wasn't so much judgment loaded into these conversations maybe it would be ok. The problem is I walk away feeling beat up for the choices (or in some cases the necessities!) of my life.

That is not what I need from a day at the park with other homeschoolers. I want my kids to have friends, but I am struggling with finding a way to let them have friends and allow me to not dread the play dates. I'd love for the people to be close geograpically. Right now, I am going a bit out of my way to go hang out with people I enjoy, and hoping Kiddo and Kutey like their kids, too. We need the interaction. How do I find the people I need?

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

First, I know how you feel. I still feel apologetic at times when I let my kids bring Lunchables or a packaged snack to an event. When my kids were younger,I always felt uncomfortable because there were so many organic only, vaccination averse, extreme unschoolers (which is why it took me so long to even consider unschooling), etc. But eventually I did meet a few families who have become dear friends.

You never know when a new family will come to one of the meetings looking for a friend like you. So keep going. You don't want to miss each other!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina