Friday, September 3, 2010

School supply lists

While we were on our hunt for pencil cap erasers, I paused to grabbed the school supply lists for our two local schools. No, I don't intend to enroll Kiddo in public school, I was curious none-the-less. None of the items on the list seem awful, though I imagine if you have to buy everything on the list it would not be trivial.

There are many preferences stated on the list, from what brand markers (Cr*yola preferred) to what color spiral notebooks (1 green, 1 red, 1 blue). Of the 19 items on the 1st and 2nd grade list, 10 of them are "collected and shared within the classroom." Though I am not sure that the zipper baggies are not on that list, too, since A-L brings the gallon freezer size and M-Z brings the sandwich size. I guess I see the logic, sort of. But it takes so much of the fun out of shopping for school supplies. Unless, of course, you don't like shopping for school supplies, then it might put some fun back in. Or if you have exceptionally indecisive children, then a very specific list is good.

Any way, I started reading the list to Kiddo, who was baffled by the very idea of a school supply list. I had to explain that if he was going to public school, these would be the things he would have to have. When he got that panicked look in his eyes, I assured him that he wasn't going to public school. He was relieved--glad he likes what we are doing! So back to the list we went. Colored pencils--he was good with that, he loves his colored pencils, though he would not like being limited to 10 to 16. Crayons--this is where they lost him (mind you, this was the second item). "Why? I don't like crayons." It is true. He has never really liked crayons. He prefers his colored pencils. Then he asked "Wait, crayons or markers?" When I replied that they needed to have both, he was again lost. "But I don't like either of them. I only use colored pencils." Again, true. Unless I specifically tell him to use one of the others, or there is nothing else available, he doesn't use them.

My response? "Well, good thing you don't have to worry about it." Which made him smile. And me? I am glad I don't have to worry about which brand of glue sticks I bought...

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

You are in my head! I wrote something about this on my blog last week, hoping these brand specific lists were simply a quirk of my area. Also, the comic I'm preparing for next week covers something similar to your son's response! How did you know? :o)

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina