Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy Birthday, Eric Carle!

Eric Carle is one of my FAVORITE children's authors/illustrators. We don't own enough of his books, but we read the ones we have with regularity. When I went through the books from my childhood at my Dad's house recently, I found an old copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar with my name written in my mom's handwriting on the inside. I was thrilled! Growing up in a large family means we shared a lot of things, books included, so finding something that was clearly mine was a treat. I remember loving it as a kid! My kids had the board book version, gifted to my oldest when he was an infant along with an adorable Hungry Caterpillar sleeper and hat. We have now been reading the larger paperback version, and loving it anew. We read Brown Bear, Brown Bear to my son so many times when he was 1-2 years old that I still have it memorized. We have checked others out of the library periodically. I am now thinking we need to hit the library and used book store to see what new favorites we can find!

To celebrate his birthday, though, I think we will be doing a craft or two. Maybe we'll make collages, as that is his favorite technique. Or maybe we'll do some of the fun things The Crafty Crow has compiled! We already did the Very Hungry Caterpillar muffin tin, or I would be tempted to do that for lunch (or course I don't have the foods on hand, either, so it would be tricky).

Oh, and for those of you who want to start planning ahead, Read for the Record's book selection this year is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Read for the record is October 8, so start thinking about what you want to do, get your copy of the book, and make sure to read it to the kids you love!


p.s. It is also my grandmother's 90th birthday today...Happy Birthday, Grandma! (she doesn't read the blog, just wanted to acknowledge it!)

No comments: