Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kid's Geography books

When I was preparing for St. Patrick's day (I know I said I'd post....), I stopped by the library to pick up two books I had on hold (Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato and That's What Leprechauns Do). While I was there, I also picked up a couple of geography books about Ireland. The thought was that we would study Ireland for the week, read the books, and do some crafts. Hmm, well, that didn't exactly happen. I spent St. Patrick's day cooking. Making a green lunch isn't as easy as it might seem! And then I moved straight into making Irish stew and soda bread. There wasn't as much time as I had hoped that day. And the next day I was exhausted...how did those pioneer women do it!?!? So we are picking up bits and pieces of it this week. I pulled out one of the geography books this morning, and I have to say I am totally impressed and I will look for them for all the countries we study in the future. What book, you ask? National Geographic's Countries of the World: Ireland. Brief but broad information, lots of beautiful pictures, and great maps. It is FANTASTIC. There is a whole series of them, and they are rolling out more.

No comments: