Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Math!

I think I may have found a math curriculum that will work for us! It has been a long search. And there is no guarantee that I won't change my mind 12 times, but...

The hardest thing about selecting a curriculum has been not being able to see it first hand. I wanted to try Miquon, but I haven't been able to see it. Math Mammoth showed promise and did actually have samples on their website, so I could get an idea of what it was like, but that isn't the same as seeing the entire thing. McRuffy also showed promise, and I liked the idea of using multiple things form one place (makes it a little easier), but I couldn't see it first hand, either.

Then on Monday we went to N's house. N is a homeschooler also, she has 3 kids and lives very close to me. We had talked about curriculum at a gathering of our homeschool group and she invited me over to take a look at what they use. Thank you, N! I really wanted to look at Five in a Row, which I did (and even borrowed volume 1, YAY!) but she also showed me what they use for math: Singapore. Now, I had heard about Singapore, obviously, but I never really looked into it. I thought, and I don't know where I got this idea, that it was one of those extra expensive curricula that were overly cumbersome. What I found was a lovely set of two books, textbook and workbook, that I think would work very well for Kiddo. I pulled the placement "test" and Kiddo work through it, so I'll be ordering those with my Explode the Code. I am very excited to have finally found something that I could hold in my hands and look at! And even better, it was something that I think will work for us.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: