Thursday, March 5, 2009

Music

One of the things I have been struggling with for Kutey is music. I remember learning all sorts of songs when I was little, but I can't remember enough of them to teach them to her (or Kiddo for that matter!) Our repertoire has been stalled at "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," " Itsy, Bitsy Spider," and "The Wheels on the Bus." Frankly, those were all the songs that Kiddo learned in preschool during the time he was there. Kiddo and DH have been learning to play the piano (for DH it is relearning...he took lessons as a child, but then went without playing for many years), and Kutey always wants them to sing while they play, because she wants to learn the words so she can sing the songs! Unfortunately, most of the songs are not that much fun. Then today Kiddo asked me to sing "This Old Man," so he could listen to it. He has been trying to remember all the lines and the rhymes, so he wanted to hear it once. Instead of singing it (I was trying to get lunch ready...and it was already after 2pm...and I was hungry...OK?) I did a google search. And I found this site: Free Kid's Music. In addition to sample from a variety of artists singing more contemporary songs, they have a great selection of more traditional songs, sung with guitar. I don't usually like kids music. There is just something about it. But these songs are so well done, and the use of just a guitar is so simple, that I actually think I can listen to them for more than 2 minutes! That is saying something.

Both Kiddo and Kutey will benefit. Kiddo was loving listening during lunch. Kutey will love it when she isn't so tired and hungry. And they'll be learning some of the songs I once knew, but had since forgotten.

No comments: