Thursday, February 17, 2011

How do birds stay dry?

We started our bird unit in science this week, in preparation for the Great Backyard Bird Count this weekend! I didn't get the books requested from the library, but they will be in soon, so we went ahead and started the labs, anyway. The first lab recommends going to a zoo to view and observe the different birds. Both of my kids have colds. Kutey's is nasty. The zoo was out of the question. So we moved on to lab 2: how do birds stay dry.

RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

The lab was quite simple, but demonstrated the idea very well. Birds oil their feathers, oil and water don't mix, so the oil repels the water and the bird stays dry.

RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

We had 2 "bird" bags--we oiled one, left the other one as is. Then we sprayed with water. I stuck my hand inside as they kids sprayed. I might have pretended the "bird" was flying. Maybe.

Not oiled:
RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

Oiled:
RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

It was immediately obvious what the difference was. I think the kids enjoyed using the spray bottle the most.

This is from Unit 23 in R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey-Life 1.

No comments: