Wednesday, March 16, 2011

No ear hearing

Remember earlier this year I did a post on "Instead of...?" One of those was as follows:
1. Instead of...waiting for the perfect supplies to do an art project or science project, move ahead with what you've got. The kids won't know the difference!
I need to remind myself of that one regularly. Science has been roadblocked, not because of the content, but because I want it to be perfect. So I wait for the perfect supplies. For the last two weeks it was a metal slinky. We have plastic one, but the book said metal, so I didn't move forward. We waited. It also called for an eye dropper, which I don't have, so we waited. BAH!

This week, I decided we needed to just do it, get through it, plastic slinky and all.

And you know what? The lab went fine. The kids learned what they were supposed to learn. Go figure!

The lesson was on waves and how some animals hear--newts through their legs, fish through a line on their bodies, etc. It is part of the Amphibians unit in R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey-Life (Unit 21). We explored waves of all sorts using various demonstrations.

Slinky waves
RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

Waves on pie plate
RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

Waves in water
RSO,RSO-L1,science,2011

Notice the dropper? Yeah, I used a medicine dropper, because that is what I had. It worked, no problem what so ever. It isn't about the perfect equipment, sometimes what you have available will work just fine. Gotta remember that!

No comments: