Friday, January 28, 2011

Paper mache failure

Last week when we were learning about the Minoans and Theseus and the Minotaur, we also learned about Thera, an island near Crete. Apparently a volcano erupted on the island then caved in on itself causing the island to sink into the ocean. One of the suggested activities for the chapter was to make an erupting volcano, you know, the baking soda and vinegar kind of volcano. I never did this project as a kid, so I thought why not?

I sent hubby to the store to get supplies, which might have been a mistake. He came home with paper mache mix. The box boasts: JUST ADD WATER! Sounded easy enough. I read the directions 1 part mix to 1/2 part water. I began to get skeptical after pouring the cup of water into the 2 cups of mix. It was still really, REALLY dry. I added a bit more water, but it didn't improve. Hubby is far more of an optimist than I am about these kinds of things. So we plunged ahead.

2011,history,SOTW1,craft

We built the crude structure and stuffed it with newspaper wads. Then we attempted to put the paper mache, um, goop?, onto the structure. I lost faith very quickly. It wasn't working. Hubby was more optimistic and kept going while I was wandering about trying to figure out what to do to make it better. I came up with nothing. The kids and Daddy finished the volcano and we set it aside to dry--it said it would need a day.

2011,history,SOTW1,craft

3 days later, it was still wet. And worse, it was cracking apart, leaving holes where the vinegar and baking soda mixture will likely seep in and cause the whole thing to collapse.

2011,history,SOTW1,craft

Paper mache volcano--failed. Next up? Homemade clay volcano. Maye that will work better?

No comments: