Thursday, January 13, 2011

Seeds

science,RSO Life-1

We finally got to our seed lab this afternoon. I thought we would get to it this weekend. We didn't. We needed the down time after a week which had us sick, and therefore simply tired. I thought we would get to it earlier in the week. We didn't. Extra kids, a day at the zoo, the Works, all limited our time. And admittedly, I was blocked for this particular lab. Most of them seem easy and fun, the last two (the flower dissection and this one) didn't seem as easy. I had to get past my own reservations and just do it.

science,RSO Life-1

The kids enjoyed peeling off the seed coat of the beans to discover the cotyledons. Finding the embryo inside when the cotyledons were separated was a treat. Measuring the wet seeds and comparing them to the dry seeds was a great lead in to talking about what the seeds need to begin their growth.

science,RSO Life-1

It wasn't a hard lab, so why did I procrastinate? Who knows. It is done now. Next week we get to talk about Seurat to explain why leaves are green. Art and science all mixed into one. Looking forward to it!

No comments: